Monday, April 16, 2012

Career Passion Myth

Penelope Trunk has an interesting article on what she calls the career passion myth.  While I don't think the idea of happiness boiling down to engagement in what we do is earth shattering, I do think it gets brushed aside far too often. 
You've heard the phrase, "It's about the journey, not the destination."  Unfortunately, in our work lives (and quite possibly all other areas too), it's almost always about the end game only.  Finish the project, get the promotion, take on more responsibility, get that management role (or take on more staff).  It's great to have goals and add value to your organization, no doubt about it.  But do we ever stop to figure out if the work is the best fit for us?  Is the journey through the day-to-day working for us?


For years, I always poo-poo'd personality tests.  I believed that you could score differently on any given day depending on your mood or a variety of other environmental factors (i.e. no sleep last night, haven't eaten anything all day, splitting headache).  While I still believe this can influence a test, I definitely am on-board with personality testing being a great tool in helping you get on the right track with carrer possibilities that are good fits with your personality.  I'm more and more a believer that this is critical for long-term career engagement and enjoyment.  Anyone can do any job.  But not many truly enjoy what they do. 

Penelope is a big believer in Myers Briggs (and has a few links in her article).  While it won't deliver a "Eureka!" moment for your career, it definitely can help you get on the right path (or make sure you are on the right path).  I wish they would have emphasized this more when I was back in college!   

No comments:

Post a Comment