Monday, June 18, 2012

Office Design? It's Like Putting Lipstick on a Pig

Todd Leopold makes a decent effort to discuss office design in a 'Dilbert' world.  I nodded my head in agreement and got a good chuckle from some of his observations.  However, I just don't buy that this stuff truly moves the needle at all in terms of workplace success, creativity, or enjoyment.  Sure, all the new bells and whistles that come down the pike in office design and layout can contribute to office creativity and success.  And using an eye dropper can help you put out a grease fire on the stove too.


Fundamentally, I think there's just too many other major obstacles poisoning morale in the workplace right now for this stuff to make much impact.  I guess we need to start somewhere, so it can't hurt.  I just don't know how much it's actually helping.  I've got another post on why work doesn't happen at work

Leopold sort of makes my argument in his own article:  "The needs of people and the needs of the company are at the crux of the issues facing corporate creativity. Creativity requires give-and-take, communication, thoughtful critiques and alone time. But, all too often, ideas fall between departmental silos or get caught up in corporate politics.  Then there's the bottom line. Companies can't just accommodate their employees; there are stockholders, analysts, the whole outside world less concerned with worker contentment than a healthy dose of profits." 

Trust me, the needs of the people will lose out to the needs of the company 100 out of 100 times.  If times are good, maybe the company will throw you a bone.  But miss just one earnings estimate, watch out.  I'm fairly certain that new office furniture, a better traffic flow, and a splash of color isn't going to get the pendulum swinging in the other direction any time soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment